Again with the Poisioning
Usually after work everyday, I pick up James and we go to dinner. Most times we're joined by some of the other pilots. We happened to take a recommendation from James' roommate and headed to a Habatchi restaurant here in Myrtle.We were chatting and having a grand ole time until I see the chef plunk down a gelatinous mound of icky slimy scallops in the middle of the grill- and just for kickers throws down some lobster right beside it. I recoil in horror. I send murderous glares to the unsuspecting tourists that ordered the offensive materials at the other end of the table.
I pull the chef aside and explain my allergy to the mound of shellfish in the middle of the grill. I nicely ask if he can just cook my food off to the side so it doesn't get any (gag) juices on it. He agrees and I sigh with relief while turning my attention back to the conversation at the table. The conversation was (gasp!) about helicopters, helicopter jobs and the company all the pilots work for. I know- crazy. Ask me about it sometime... I know lots.
I turn my attention back to the grill to see my chicken cooking in what looks to be suspiciously near the scallop area. I sigh to myself but think- well really how bad can it be? I know- parting words if I've ever heard some. James and I split the chicken and steak meal. We're about halfway through when I feel it coming on. The whole throat tightening, coughing, ect. I stare daggers at the chef and reach for my benadryl that is always stashed by my epipen in my purse.
My hand finds aspirin, band aids, pepto, migraine meds and a plethora of other things..... but I had apparently forgotten to replenish my supply. Which only makes me nervous and makes my throat worse. I whisper to James that we need to go to CVS after dinner try to smile. Dinner takes forever to wind up and get paid for. At this point I feel the hives down the back of my throat and James hustles me to the car. James' roommate thinks this is hilarious and begs me to let him stab me with my epipen. Like 15 times. I am annoyed but singularly focused on the CVS. I leave the other pilots in the car and get some disolvable benadryl shoved in my mouth a few minutes later. Sweet relief. I then stuffed the remainder of the package into my purse so I am never without again.
I am all recovered and there was no need for a trip to the ER this time. I hate that it was that bad at all and that I totally freaked out James. He seriously stood on death watch for about 3 hours. So I don't know what I'm suppose to do... give up hibatchi on the off chance someone orders scallops/shellfish? Ask to be moved? Berate the stupid chef who can remember how 8 people want their steak cooked but not remember to cook mine on the side?
I don't really know but as I can still feel the sore throat that the hives left behind I know I will NOT be having hibatchi any time soon.

Comments