Objects are smaller than they appear

This picture is an example of a common occurrence. I'm shorter than most. Standing tall at a whopping 5' 2 1/2"I am slightly below the national height average for women, which is 5' 4".

Usually I am deceptively taller. On a normal day I wear heels ranging from 2" to 6" tall. Alas we are transitioning to summer here in Arizona which makes it flats season- one of my favs.

This transition also brings about exclamations such as:
"I keep forgetting how short you are" ~ my Dad
"I forgot you were there, I couldn't see you" ~coworker
"Ah! I can't hear you coming without your heels!" ~coworker
"How tall are you really?" ~ friend
"Ah my tiny friend." ~ Marc

And the list goes on.

I might point out that not only am I shorter than my mother, I am also shorter than my maternal grandmother. Isn't this just backwards?

I've also decided to put together a list of things that are just a little harder when you're smaller
Getting into full size SUV's/Trucks
Reaching the top shelves of anything
Seeing at concerts/events
Finding jeans/pants then giving up and buying the regular size and hemming
Finding skirts/capris that don't hit in the wrong place and make you look squatty
Gaining 2 pounds when you're short looks more like 7 pounds to those blessed with long torsos
Seeing over the Subway counter- they are really high!


And bless my husband, he is the absolute perfect height coming in at 5' 8 1/2", which is shorter than the national average of 5' 9", at least we're together in that. At least I don't have to crane my neck to see him and get a crick in the neck to kiss him. It's my theory that we are going to have really tall kids. Just so God can laugh at us.

In all my rants I will say that I love who I am. I guess there are some advantages to being short/squat/height challenged- nimbly weaving through crowds, fitting in small placed, never knocking my head on trees/low ledges/ect.

Comments

Megan said…
I just wanted to say that I love you no matter how tall or short you are. And you pull off the heels so well that when we're together I actually feel like we're the same height, so I really forget that you are...um...well, short. ;) Thanks for posting that pic of all of us - it brings back such great memories (well, besides the reason for your visit...). Love you!

Popular Posts