Life Goes On

Life is marching forward at the Campbell house.

There have been no more purchased shirts for Toulouse. And no more trips to the beach so life has been pretty flat line around here.

I did have a pretty exciting experience a little bit ago with a pre-interview assessment test for a job that I didn't get. (which is why I feel that I can write about it on my blog)

So this test was ridiculous. It took me two hours and it was my own personal version of hell. There was some vocab sections and some puzzle sections that were the closest thing to "liking" or "being good at" that I could find. There was some bizarre sections that asked me "Do you enjoy blueprints?".... hum. No. Thanks for asking. Other selections were "What year did WWII start?" and "Where do spaceships land?"....hum.... not too hard but weird.

And then we moved on to the math. OH the math. It was middle school math on crack. Of course all the math you learned to do on calculators but they cruelly did not allow us to use. And then it was a complex math question that would take 5 minutes to do by hand but you only had 2 minutes. Cruel and unusual punishment for me. So it was really a guessing frenzy. Several people got up and left after the math.

Then we moved on to the section that made me want to cry. Sequences of numbers placed side by side. And you had to look at both sets and see if they matched. Ok, not too hard...wait for it..... But you have 4 minutes to do 40 pages of them. And if you have ever known anyone with a learning disability, it evokes sheer terror. I can't even write down phone numbers without reversing the numbers. James doesn't even trust me to read him a street number off of mapquest because we get lost! Oh the agony. I did try my hardest but I didn't finish the section and I couldn't recall tell you if the ones that I marked as matching really were matching. I should sue for discrimination.

So I got a kiss off email yesterday. Not surprising. After the math and matching sections they must have thought I was an idiot. But I know the meaning of demure! Take that!

So after that lovely disappointment I got a letter in the mail saying my Arizona state unemployment had run up. Great. Fantastic. Mind you I've only been on it for 3 months and one week. So I had to file for some Federal Extension program. And then they found some problem because I got vacation days paid out in January. That I've already been penalized for under the Arizona unemployment system. Oh and of course I tried to call....3 times.... no answer. And I'm only allowed to call Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Based on the last digit of my social. Touche.... today is Wednesday. No calling for me. Not like they'd answer.

I fly into panic mode. I need a job. Any job. So I pull up an employment page of a major retail store. Maybe I can be a cash register tech or something. Nope. They're full up. On ALL jobs. Great. Instead of dissolving in tears I reach for the baklava left over from Greek Easter and wash it down with Diet Coke.

Needless to say James and I are on lockdown right now until I get approved for my Unemployment Extension or I get a job. If you want to know where we are, we are at home, sitting in the dark, eating Ramen. Maybe we should just take up my Dad on his offer to build us a bunker in the hills of Tennessee. I could teach Toulouse how to hunt....I could wear plaid......James can learn how to use the word y'all. I'm going to dwell on that.

Comments

Popular Posts