Betsy Goes Back to Work

About freakin time!
After braving the perilous waters of unemployment for 5 months I am back in action. I actually ended up getting two job offers in one week so I had the luxury of picking! I accepted a job at a wonderful ad agency in town called Many Hats. I am working as an Account Executive as well as doing some marketing and media buying. I am half way through my first week and I am loving my new office and getting to know my new co-workers! More to come later I'm sure.
Here are some funny stories from interviewing for jobs for 5 months. A countdown of sorts.
7) Getting a job that I was told that I would only be able to go to the bathroom 3 times a day at scheduled times. I promptly made a doctors appointment to talk about my sensitive stomach and made a plan of action to cut all liquids out of my diet.
6) Applying for a job at Target... and getting rejected. *sigh*
5) The interview that I still haven't heard back from.... oh they're still considering me.... 5 months later.... just wait till we get our act together.... we love you. Really.
4) Having a 5 minute interview so scary that I promptly withdrew myself from consideration for fear I would be eaten alive. They couldn't have dangled a carrot large enough to make me take that one.
3) Being grilled on a background check on why I left my 2 month seasonal stint 2 years ago at Bath and Body Works off of my resume.... um because I didn't think I needed to add it to my "body of work".... although it did improve my skills with working with fire breathing beasts.
2) Having to take the SAT all over again without the aid of a calculator.... all in the sake of "pre-employment screening"...... they probably think I didn't graduate 7th grade..... I left pretty sure I wasn't going to get that one.
1) Getting my hair cut out at the root in a dime size chunk *tears well up in eyes*... the nurse promptly drops half of it on the floor and has to cut out another dime size chunk *tears turn to fire* I almost shanked her I swear.
James and I celebrated the week before I started by taking a little cruise... pics and stories to follow later. We are thrilled to be out of the red and into the black.
P.S. I still haven't gotten accepted on to President Obama's unemployment extension program..... 5 weeks after my state unemployment ran up. Thanks for nothing! Unemployment is a scary thing with not much out there in the way of help if you don't have family that is willing to help you as we do and many people are still suffering from the inadequacies of our government. That's about all I have to say about that.

Comments