Mexico Ole!


James and I got the privilege of tagging along with Mom & Peter on another one of their Mexican vacations last weekend. This one included my Aunt Linda and Uncle Gary too. The ride down was fairly uneventful, though when we were driving through Sonora I saw a cute, little dirty Mexican kitty that needed rescuing. James refused to let me out of the car to go save it. He is paranoid and obviously hates animals.

The weather was beautiful, mid-80's during the day and in the 70's at night. I enjoyed many an hour reading in the sun. The birds were out in full force... pelicans, seagulls and some sort of white kamikaze birds....floating and flying then dive bombing the poor fish below. James and I got a kick out of this and added our own soundtrack to their fishing. We also got to watch Gary try to fish with no success off the shore with pieces of squid. I think it was just too shallow. But a valiant effort.

We took a field trip down to the marina to check out the shrimping ships. Uncle Gary is big into fishing and wanted to know the scoop. They are basically tin floating rust buckets with nets attached. My favorite part was the pelicans sleeping on the very tip tops of the boats.
We also hit our favorite joint, the Lapa Lapa for some cocktails and veggies quesadillas. Then we went up to the very top of the hill to El Capitan for some more cocktails and carne asada. There was the saddest little puppy that was hungry and needed to be saved. Again a no from James. I did manage to feed him.

Also at the fish market downtown James bought himself a man bracelet. I'm still undecided about said man bracelet. Maybe after we trim the dangly strings hanging from said manly bracelet, it will look better.

One our way home James and I got stuck at the border for an HOUR and a HALF. Now that doesn't seem like too long but we were hungry, trapped in the car, needing a restroom and the vendors were off the chain. Nope, don't need the windows washed. Nope, don't want a pot. Nope, don't want the same pot that your friend just tried to sell me. And NO, I don't want that ugly bear looking ceramic thing. We finally get up to the border and we get put in the slow line. Those frequenting Mexico know this line. Its the Mexican nationals/RV/Shady people line. We always get put in this line. So we wait and get questioned. I pray that the border agent doesn't ask if we're married because my passport still has my maiden name on it, along with my 17 year old chubby face. We're almost out of their and he asks James were he works. The James is caught off guard and stumbles. I scream on the inside. Surly we will be strip searched now. But they let us go and we almost fall over when we reach the casino out of joy. No more drinking soda in the car while waiting at the border.

So our next planned trip includes the usual suspects of the Canacakos' and the Campbell's but the we throw in the Krelitz clan. Including but not limited to Uncle El, Aunt Lizzie, Mason, Asher and Claire. All of these players make for a fun trip south of the border. There must be late night re-hashing in the kitchen. Family tradition.

Comments

Popular Posts