Lab Rat

So I've decided to sell my body to science. Well kinda. I've been accepted into the 1st phase of a clinical drug trial for people with migraines. Its a trail of a new emergency migraine medicine and I'm allowed to stay on my preventative meds which are my lifeline to the normal world.

The first visit is just a bunch of tests to see if my body is in good enough shape to be accepted into phase 2. But the 1st visit pays enough for me to pay off my CT bill that I had to make sure my migraines weren't caused by tumors. So I think its a fair trade.... and its being conducted by the research division of my own neurologists office so I feel safe.

One of my co-workers who suffers from migraines also is doing the study to so I have a lab rat buddy. I feel very strongly about developing new medicines for people with chronic pain like migraines. The medicines that we take don't completely take away the pain or completely prevent the pain which can be debilitating. So if I can give a new med a go and see if it will help, then I'm all for it.

And for those worried about my health and general well being, this is a Phase 3 clinical trial so its been tried on people before, probably poor college students. So they know I'm not going to die :)

The tales of the lab rat start next week, we'll see if I'm good enough to get in....

Comments

Melissa said…
Yahoo for drugs! Thank you for helping to further my profession. You should taken care of better during a clinical trial than during non-investigational care, so that's good!
Camille Platt said…
I'm interested in how this goes. I did a medication study in B'ham for a sleeping pill. I had to sleep there with all sorts of wires taped to me, blah! But, I got paid hourly, even while sleeping:).-Daniel

Popular Posts