Birth Story- Baby C #3

Here is the birth story for our third and last baby. *sob* No really I'm done. *sob* I don't think I could survive another pregnancy *still sobbing*

Last pregnant picture EVER!

After dilating at 36 weeks to half a centimeter and having contractions while in Mexico, I was certain that this baby was going to be a little early. Not too early but earlier than #1 (41 weeks) and #2 (39 weeks, 5 days.) Then we arrived back in the states, the presents were wrapped, the preparations were made and nothing. For the next few weeks I only dilated to 1 cm. I nearly threw myself on the ground in the OB's office when they refused to strip my membranes because I was strep B positive.

At 39 weeks I started to have regular contractions and thankfully James was home from work. We would time the contractions and be set to go to the hospital and then they would stop. Maddening and tiring. On the 12th of December I had regular contractions for hours and they got to 4 minutes apart. I was convinced it was the day. We called in Billie to watch the kids and my mom flew across town to the hospital. I was checked into triage and was still only 1 1/2 cm. I nearly expired on the spot. I am a notorious slow dilator until about 4 cm then it goes quickly. I tell the nurse this. She looks unimpressed. An hour later she says my contractions are regular enough that she thinks I am going to have the baby! Rejoice! Then she checks me and I'm still not dilating. They send me home in the walk of false labor shame. The contractions slow and stop. I am pissed. I tell the baby all about it.

This is how we feel about false labor
The next day I see the OB. I am still having on and off contractions. They hurt, I get little sleep and I'm just tired. She tells me I'm in prodromal labor which basically means pre-labor. Then she had the audacity to schedule an induction for a week after my due date on the 22nd of December. That would have been 10 more days. I nearly reach down and strangle her. She tells me with the most feeling that I've seen over 3 babies that she's certain I'll deliver in the next 48 hours because people don't stay as miserable as I am for 10 days. I don't believe her. James tells her we're worried I won't get my two doses of antibiotics for my Hep B. I tell the doctor that I don't have Hepatitis. She placates us and sends us on our way.

The next day at 39 weeks, 5 days pregnant I have no contractions all day and we are getting ready for bed. James and I both take some unisom to get a goods nights sleep. I lay down to sleep and I'm 5 minutes into my prayers telling Jesus all about how miserable I am and suddenly I literally jump out of bed in pain. Like haven't moved that fast in 10 months leapt out of bed. James looks over at me with a slitted eye and I climb back in bed. A few minutes later I'm up and nearly panting in pain. We give it 20 minutes and then call in reinforcements. I continue to be guarded but hopeful. It is 9:30 at night so no one had gone to bed yet and my mom had just gotten home only to turn around and leave again.

We arrive at the hospital (again) and I am trudging back to triage hoping for a kind soul to receive me. I'm checked again and I'm only 2 cm. I sigh out loud. They send me to walk to the halls. Which consists of me nearly crawling down the halls with my mom hovering behind me. James headed to get some food because we all know how James fairs without food. He brings me some fries and an ice tea that I choke on in between contractions. I finally get checked again in triage and I was 3 cm. With that progression I earned my ticket into labor & delivery. I expressed my desire to for an epidural and they started my fluids and my 1st bag of antibiotics at 1 am. I got my room and again asked for an epidural as I flopped around like a dying fish clutching the side of the bed. I answered endless questions and nearly started squeezing the fluid bag to get all of it in so I could earn a needle in my back. Finally the anesthesiologist arrived and he gives me a sideways look and tells me I"m going to need to sit still for 5 minutes to get my epidural. I tell him emphatically that I will. With the nurse and James holding me down he starts and I nearly bite off some of my teeth during it but I am still. They start the medication but its not working all the way. It is only working on the right hand side of my body. I almost start crying because with Bee my epidural only worked part way and it was so painful. The doc is emphatic that its in the right place and it will work. They lie me flat on my back and start pumping me full of more meds. They check me and I'm at 6 1/2 cm. My epidural is working most of the way at that point. I take a nap with the epidural button clutched in my hands. The nurse tells James that they will check me around 5 am and James tells her that it will probably go fast and that they might want to come back sooner. She gives him a look that is basically a pat on the head and leaves. We nap and she comes back at 5:20 to wake us up. The second bag of antibiotics finish at 5:30 am and I feel relieved that we got them in.

She checks me and nearly runs to the phone. I'm 10 cm with a bulging bag and she can see the baby's head. She asks how long it took for my last baby to be born and I tell her 3 pushes. She tells the doctor to get in here. She tells me not to move. The doctor arrives shortly and they break my water. There is muconium in the water so they call the NICU nurse in. Three short pushes later the baby was born! Our plan was for James to tell me the sex but the baby was flopped on me with the goods facing me so I got to say Its a BOY!  They took him from me right away and he was assessed by the NICU nurse for 30 minutes. They quickly told me that he was fine but still kept him over there for a while longer. Then I finally get to see my strawberry blond little boy I'd been waiting on so long! He weighed in at 7 pounds, 14 ounces (the exact same as his brother) and I was rewarded for my labor with a 2nd degree tear (in the exact same spot as his brother.)
Finally our little boy is here!

Nursing in the hospital was going horridly. I was horribly disappointed to be bleeding and sore within a few hours. I look into the baby's mouth and notice a pretty prominent tongue tie. I speak with the pediatrician and a lactation consultant about it and they agree its severe. We make an appointment for the next day with a pediatric ENT and its snipped at 1 day old . Nursing starts going better in the 5 minutes after it was clipped. Thank goodness! We are all home now and trying to figure out how to make it all work with the 5 of us!

Comments

Popular Posts