Spoiler Alert- there is still something wrong with my foot




This is how I commute to work in the mornings these days. Full on ninja style with my foot not hanging down.

I've been waiting to blog until there was some sort of update on healing and it's just been going slow. My doctor said I'll heal even slower since I'm breastfeeding- yippee- but I'm not stopping. We'll talk thigh first. Its been a slow progress to get my thigh healed from my graft as well. The thigh is tricky because it moves and stretches a lot even if you aren't walk.

Remember my birth story when I told y'all I was allergic to to tape. Yup. Still allergic to tape and apparently neosporin as well. I'm just super super special over here. And yes, it hurt and itched like crazy. I had to keep it covered most of the time which drove it crazy but I would air it out at night. There is nothing like Frankenstein stitches to fascinate a 2 year old.

After two weeks with my stitches in they tried to take them out. Um nope. Didn't go well. The wound split open and started bleeding. The tech stopped taking them out and left the rest in while she glued me back together. Then she put a ton of steri strips on it. I love love loved seeing my thigh split apart.

Finally this last week I got the rest of the stitches out. My favorite part was when the MA started digging in the hole of one of the stitches trying to pull out a deep stitch. I had to look away. It was that or vomit ice tea and percocit all over her. She said it would work it's way out of the skin at some point. Awesome.  My scar looks ok I guess. It's still a little scabby and red. I ordered some mederma for it and we'll see how it comes along in the next few weeks. It looks almost good and closed right now so that pleases me.

After 7 weeks in the cast I asked my doctor if I could get it off. She said we'd better try because my wound was looking too wet and my calf was getting really atrophied. So we went from up to the knee cast to the above picture. This is not a safe place. This is not secure. I'm nervous. All the time. There is a piece of non stick gauze and some tape between my graft and the world. Not ok. A sock makes me feel a little better about life but it's a scary place to live. I'm allowed to start putting light pressure on my toes only. The nerves are a funny thing. My actual wound doesn't hurt that much but there is a lot of pain and swelling in the ball of my foot and toes.When I stand up my foot turns purple. It makes one scared that said foot is going to fall off.

Here are the wound progression pictures.

 
1 week post graft

2 weeks post graft
3 weeks post graft

There isn't much progress in my opinion. There is also a small hole in my graft but the doctor isn't too concerned about it. So we'll march on toward being able to walk again. My new revised goal is to be able to walk by the time we head to my cousins bar mitzvah in April. Pray for us. James heads back to work a week of day shifts on Thursday. I might be driven insane by my two year old. Really. It's a possibility.


Comments

Popular Posts