Life Hacks- The Crutch Chronicles




Life proves to have some hurdles when you can't put any weight on your left foot. And this little scooter of mine is a tricky, tricky beast. It's useful for things like pushing a laundry basket full of yoga pants across the tile to get them to the couch when my indentured servant Bee is unavailable. It will also get a little touchy if you try to feel too independent and try to scoot to the mailbox for a little unrecylced air. It will throw you to the ground in the middle of street in PUBLIC. Hold me. No one saw thank goodness. I'd like to fall off things in the privacy of my own home where public humiliation is not a factor. It is not good for fixing breakfast where I have to take 13 four-point turns to get English muffins and fruit on the table while hearing "I'm hungry Mommy" and "I'm ready for my plate. With a big girl banana. With milk, Mommy." And dear goodness if the coffee machine won't stop whining to be cleaned I'm going to chuck it across the kitchen. I do not have the patience for *appliances* that whine. I have a two year old, have mercy, Mr. Coffee.

Right before firing up our ancient laptop I was scooting and sweeping the nasty nasty floors. I'm currently making a pile in a corner for my mom. I can't bend down and get it in the dust pan and James has hightailed it off to places unknown. Like the abandoner he is. Ok fine. He's in Douglas. At work. Making overtime. Selfish I tell you, selfish.

Bee is taking the incapacitation mostly in stride. She spends a lot of time in tutus watching princess movies. I read some article somewhere that says I'm not going to ruin her during this "season" where we watch a lot of television, eat a lot of carbs, don't brush our hair or change from jammies into new jammies. I choose to believe this.

This is the face of a child that is tired of Mommy hauling him down the haul on a scooter, doesn't appreciate attempts to make him sleep in a Rock n Play instead of his bunny swing and just wants to spit up on your pants again- or down the sleeve of your shirt- so hold still ok?

In all seriousness I've been working hard to choose joy lately. Sometimes in hard times it's hard to choose joy over bitterness. God has been reminding me that we are blessed even in this season of hardship. We were so blessed that my stepmom, Kim, came out to stay with us for four days just because we needed her. She entertained the weary Bee, fed/clothed/got up all night with the finicky Fox and helped me do everything it takes to keep this house running without James. Bee and Fox were lucky enough to get to spend time with their sweet Grandma who they only get to see two times a year. When Grandma Kim had to go return to clothing/feeding/staying up all night with my Dad and brother, my mom moved in with a bag full of groceries. Not only are we blessed beyond belief that both of them will drop their lives to help us but I realized how nice it was to actually talk to them both. When all the kids went to bed and there was no one else around. I realized I don't often get to talk to either my stepmom or my mom without someone else there. It was nice to spend time with my stepmom by myself which is something I've never gotten the opportunity to do. I have high days and low days but I'm keeping this chin up. We'll see what my doc says on Wednesday and maybe, just maybe I'll get my cast off.

Parting gift. Little fox letting his lobster eat his face. Ack! Love it.




Comments

Laurie said…
You are amazing, and you will make it through this. Love you so!
Laurie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts