Update visit to the Orthopedic Surgeon

I can't believe it's been almost 6 months since our last underwhelming visit to the orthopedic surgeon here in Tucson. I was going to cancel this appointment but I kept it. Mostly because he is the only doctor that has done a physical exam on her and I wanted to gauge the progress.

Poor tiny one thought she was getting a shot the moment we got called back. Crying ensued. A little mommy cuddle and a little kitty time soothed that.

Then there were one year old shenanigans in the waiting room. Because who really likes to wait for the doctor?

After the doctor came in and examined her we got pretty much what we were expecting. A wait and see approach which I greatly like. I'm not in a rush at all to cut open my child. His opinion is that we would need to make a decision between 3 years and 6 years old. I prefer to push it as long as possible. Right now there is no pain and functionality problems which is fantastic. The lump is bigger but so is Bee. We pushed off getting another xray until she's 2 years old. The doctor felt we shouldn't over xray her small body if we can avoid it and I agree. I liked the doctor ever so much more this visit. He was engaging and said all the things that lined up with my research on the topic. He also told us he's watching the physician periodicals and conferences he attends for new research on her condition. That was really nice to hear! We also talked about what her life would be like if we didn't do the surgery- a small physical deformity and no right hand dominate sports (ie no softball, no tennis.) I don't like to talk about limiting her but a major surgery that could fail is also a big decision. So we scheduled another follow up with him in the fall which will co inside with our Shriners follow up. More waiting but this kind of waiting I don't mind!

Also, side note- I don't link all my blog updates to my facebook page as not to be annoying so if you want all my updates (like 4 a month) you can follow my blog by email- just scroll up to the top and submit your email so you can get every small detail of our exceedingly exciting life delivered to your inbox.



Comments

Laurie said…
It's SO great that you felt better about this visit with the doc. Yay! And such cute pictures of little Bee!

Popular Posts