Swim Lessons and String Bikinis

Today was Bee's first swim lesson! The first of many to help with my immense fear of infant drowning. It doesn't help that we've had 3 infant drownings already this summer season here.

James and I were in a rush to leave for our first swim lesson so I threw on the first bathing suit that I found in my drawer. I didn't realize the error of my ways until we got there. I was the only mom in a bikini. I was also the only mom in a sequin embellished string bikini from Victoria's Secret. Opps. I don't currently own anything more demure so it wasn't out of character for me. It's always awkward to walk into a room of people you don't know and disrobe but especially when you feel like everyone's wearing burkas compared to you. At least Bee was appropriately dressed in her swim diaper and rash guard with a flamingo on it. So into the pool we went with a couple dads and the other moms in one pieces.

It was Bee's first time in a pool and she just loved it. Right away she was splashing and kicking and generally dousing me in water. I wore water proof mascara for the occasion. She also took great strides to show the entire swim class my hooters. So if I wasn't shamed enough by being the only mom in a two piece, I was then. So off to Target I go this week to find something none ugly and semi practical. Shudder.

We motored around the pool singing and working on showing Bee how to blow bubbles. I really liked the teachers and the format of the class. James cheered on Bee from the sidelines and she sent him a couple of watery smiles. We were swimming in a circle singing and my short legs didn't work fast enough for the daddy behind me since he kept almost running over the back of me. I'll have to attach my longer legs next week or just get in line by one of the mommies.

While the more advanced little froggies worked on going underwater we worked on pouring water over the head. Bee was unphased since we've been working on that for a while. I was so proud that she didn't cry at all. Once she was comfortable that it was like a big bath she unclenched her fist from my shoulder and let me do whatever the class was doing.

Near the end we worked on grabbing the edge of the pool and floating on the floatie not in my arms. Bee did great and totally got into kicking her legs. All in all swim lessons were a success and I'm sure it will be worth the investment. I'll be flying solo next week but the week after that it'll be Daddy's turn in the pool. He can flash his white Campbell skin and sing songs..... I might take some video.





Comments

Camille Platt said…
cool! you rock that bikini if you can, girl! i'm finally back to a good weight but everything is still squishier than i'd like.
Laurie said…
You are too funny and Bee is just so cute. SO very glad that it went well! Your first swim lesson wasn't as successful, but then you were just a little bit of a thing at that age and I think you were cold! It sounds like you found the perfect program - yay!

XXXOOO
Betsy said…
Isn't everything just squishier Camille? Ugh!

Popular Posts