The Holy Hookers Club
I have recently joined a group at church called the Holy Hookers...err...ok, it's really called Holy Needles but I like the other one better.
The purpose of Holy Needles it to teach people like me to crochet and knit. While honing my craft we make items to donate to local hospitals for children in need. It's really a great group and I have a lot of fun attending our once a month meetings. Then for the rest of the month we are suppose to remember what we learned and practice/make things at home.
This is the only thing I managed to make my first month:

Of course it was some sort of clothing item for Toulouse! I could only do one stitch and go in a line. I hadn't quite mastered the circle needed to start a hat so Toulouse got a collar. It just happened to be pink but I think it compliments his coloring.
After my second monthly meeting I was able to master the simple hat. With the help of my friend Carrie (who is a wizard with the hook) I learned how to scallop the edges. Ohhh, ahhh.
Then I started crocheting while we were watching TV such as SYTYCD. Keeps my hands busy and I don't feel like such a lay about when watching TV. So I decided to look for cool patterns on the Internet and here is what I found....

(gasps and applause) My favorite is the bear hat. I saw a picture of one and figured out how to make the ears. And now I can make small flowers too. Yea! I also moved on from just baby beanies and made one for James. He wears it around the house since its a sweltering wasteland outside right now.
The purpose of Holy Needles it to teach people like me to crochet and knit. While honing my craft we make items to donate to local hospitals for children in need. It's really a great group and I have a lot of fun attending our once a month meetings. Then for the rest of the month we are suppose to remember what we learned and practice/make things at home.
This is the only thing I managed to make my first month:

Of course it was some sort of clothing item for Toulouse! I could only do one stitch and go in a line. I hadn't quite mastered the circle needed to start a hat so Toulouse got a collar. It just happened to be pink but I think it compliments his coloring.
After my second monthly meeting I was able to master the simple hat. With the help of my friend Carrie (who is a wizard with the hook) I learned how to scallop the edges. Ohhh, ahhh.Then I started crocheting while we were watching TV such as SYTYCD. Keeps my hands busy and I don't feel like such a lay about when watching TV. So I decided to look for cool patterns on the Internet and here is what I found....

(gasps and applause) My favorite is the bear hat. I saw a picture of one and figured out how to make the ears. And now I can make small flowers too. Yea! I also moved on from just baby beanies and made one for James. He wears it around the house since its a sweltering wasteland outside right now.
So we have another meeting tomorrow and I'm hoping to be able to learn a new stitch or two. I found a really cool scarf pattern that i want to be able to make.
As I look back over the pictures of my newest hobby I wonder.... am I old? Have I hurdled myself over the hump from mid-twenties to late twenties? I'm quite sure I've reached the pinnacle of old and boring because tonight I'm having Anna and Candy over to teach them some new crocheting techniques and eat taco bell. *sigh* I don't edge gracefully into old age, I just barrel forward.

Comments
I was never really able to get past scarves and cleaning cloths. Where is my knitting club?