We be Gemmin

This up coming week is a big week for ole Tucson... it's the start of the Gem Show! Woohoo!

The peddlers of gems, tourists and Tucsonans alike all clamour for tickets to the exclusive tents to go buy... well anything and everything.

Like last year I am going to be working the Gem Show for the vendor that I worked for last year. He and I got along so well last year he demanded (not kidding) that I come back this year. I wasn't quite able to muster up enough vacation time after my trip to TN to do the whole week but James is picking up my slack and working 2 days for me. He's actually working set up day which isn't my favorite- thanks babe!

So starting Wednesday my home away from home will be the GJX tent down on Congress and Granada... no I can not get you in.... no I can not get you tickets to any other tent. Small minion booth workers get no benefits.

So here's what we'll be doing- enter tent under siege of guards in the morning. Uncover semi-precious stones of all cuts and colors. Make sure non of those sneaky gems has migrated into another gems area. Chat, people watch and wait for the doors to open. Answer questions such as- Is that a garnet? Do you have an 8x10 cabs of amethyst? How much is this? Do you have any callipers- mine fell in the toilet? Then rinse and repeat all week. I will also be staring at all the pretty,sparkly, shiny gems saying- Who wants to come home with me?- sometimes out loud.

Last year I purchased some stones and had them set at a local silversmith. They are some of my favorite rings these days so I'm sure I'll be having some more of my pay in trade this year. I already know I was a jet 10 cm round checker cut...sigh.... love.

So if I'm missing this week just know I'll be working long hours at the gem show and probably really tired and not feeling like doing anything but being a blob after work. Oh wait, that's not really any different from normal life :)

Comments

Popular Posts